On 31 Dec 2014, at the end of our Bicentenary year, we will randomly
select one of our donors and give them the opportunity to have an Old
Sunday School meeting room named after them or a nominated relative
throughout 2015; with an invitation to an exclusive celebration event
when the new name will. be unveiled.
On the 21st April 1813, the foundation stone of Macclesfield Sunday School was laid in Roe Street. Exactly 200 years later, the Sunday School now Heritage Centre continues to serve as a focus for community activities in Macclesfield, and plans are underway to suitably mark its 200th birthday!
In fact, recent funding efforts to save the Heritage Centre building mirror the original determination of local people to bring it into being. In 1812, the Macclesfield Sunday School management raised over £5000 all by charitable donations. A committee of Friends was set up in February 1813 to oversee the project. The site on Roe Street was chosen and construction began just two months later. Despite shutting in 1973, the Sunday School was reopened in 1987 as the Heritage Centre thanks to a new committee of Friends who raised the funds to refurbish the centre and reopen as a Museum.
The history of the Sunday School building will feature in a special exhibition to be held at the Heritage Centre in March 2014 as part of the Bicentenary commemoration. A series of special events has also been planned to accompany the exhibition. For full information visit here.